First results of oceanographic works on Ukrainian longline vessels in Antarctica (CCAMLR zone) in 2017/2018 season
- water masses,
- Antarctic toothfish
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Aim of works is implementation of duties, taken by Ukraine on XXXVI Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR) Session and study of habitation of main fishing objects in Antarctica waters. Methods of works were the use of DST CTD recorder produced by STAR OGGICompany (Iceland) and the analysis of the obtained data. Results of works include 36 longline and 11 other stations (on a line, on streamer, on Juday plankton net) executed in Amundsen, Ross and Weddell Seas during the period from December 2017 to April 2018. Vertical changeability of temperature, temporal changeability of benthic temperature were analyzed; spatial changeability of temperatures in separate Seas was found out; 4 basic water masses were distinguished, influence of bottom temperature to the catches of Antarctic toothfish was analyzed. Conclusion was made about the increase in catches while lowering the bottom temperature in Weddell Sea.
- Arnold, L. Gordon. 1997. Western Weddell Sea Thermohaline Stratification. Ocean, Ice, and Atmosphere: Interactions at the Antarctic Continental Margin Antarctic Research Series, 75, 215-240. https://doi.org/10.1029/AR075p0215
- Arnold, L. Gordon, Martin Visbeck and Bruce Haber. 2001. Export of Weddell Sea Deep and Bottom Water. Journal of geophysical research, 106, 9005-9017. https://doi.org/10.1029/2000JC000281
- De Broyer, C., Koubbi, P., Griffiths, H.J., Raymond, B., Udekem,d'Acoz C. d' (eds.). 2014. Biogeographic Atlas of the Southern Ocean. Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research, Cambridge, 1-475.
- Deb Shoosmith and Adrian Jenkins. 2006. Oceanographic fieldwork in the Amundsen Sea: An overview of cruise JR141. FRISP Report, 17, 1-4.
- Eberhard Fahrbach, Gerd Rohardt, Norbert Scheele, Michael Schriider, Volker Strass and Andreas Wisotzki. 1995. Formation and discharge of deep and bottom water in the northwestern Weddell Sea. Journal of Marine Research, 53, 4, 515-538. https://doi.org/10.1357/0022240953213089
- Fogvik, A., Gammelsrat, T., Tarresen, T. 1985. Hydrographic observations from the Weddell Sea during the Norwegian Antarctic Research Expedition 1976/77. Polar Research, 3, 177-193. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-8369.1985.tb00506.x
- George, A. Knox. 1981. Biological oceanography of the Ross Sea (extended abstract). Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand, 11 : 4, 341-347. https://doi.org/10.1080/03036758.1981.10423325
- Jacobs, S., Jenkins, A., Hellmer, H., Giulivi, C., Nitsche, F., Huber, B., Guerrero, R. 2012. The Amundsen Sea and the Antarctic Ice Sheet. Oceanography, 25(3), 154-163. https://doi.org/10.5670/oceanog.2012.90
- Paramonov, V. 2018. Preliminary results of oceanologic research of Ukrainian vessels in the CCAMLR area for the season 2017/18. CCAMLR, WG-SAM 18/27, 1-14.
- Walker, D.P., Jenkins, A., Assmann, K.M., Shoosmith, D.R., Brandon, M.A. 2013. Oceanographic observations at the shelf break of the Amundsen Sea, Antarctica. J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, 118, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1002/jgrc.20212