Changes in Weddell Seal Leptonychotes weddellii (Phocidae) Behaviour at the First Stage of Ontogenesis
- time budget,
- Weddell seal,
- behavioral patterns,
Objective. The analysis of changing the Weddell seal diurnal activity during first two weeks post partum.
Methods. The «budget of time» method was used with measuring of time of different behavioral patterns (feeding, learning and motion activity, sleep). It was started since second day and measured every 5 days.
Results. The correlation of time for different behavioral activity for 2, 7 and 12 days of puppi’es life changing because of feeding time decrising (since 30 % till 24 % and till 14 %) and in parallel – learning and motion activities in rising (since 42 % till 41 % and till 40 %). The time for sleeping changed insignificantly. At first days after birth certain behavioral patterns were characterized by short-term, frequent change of sequence and randomness. Later the phases of behavioral patterns became longer, more continuous and consecutive. So, beginning and the end of sleeping is correlated with the most longer feeding interval. Starting with 17 day age, the imbalance of behavioral patterns of the pup has been observed. This imbalance was caused by a long-term being in the sea and fragmentariness contact with the female. The duration of feeding behaviour, which caused by lactation, is declining to 5 %, and learning and motion activity (include being under water) incrising to 82 % (duration of sleeping embraces 13 % of total time budget) . So probably is correlation between mastering of water space and getting of meal. It compensates declining of volume of milk consumption.
Conclusions. The study of the budget of time of the Weddell seal puppy has reliable results only until that period of time when the puppy started to go into the water (11—15 day age). Visualization of observing is limited by concrete location (the place of pappi’es birth). It doesn’t eliminate probability of display any behavioral patterns under water and any other place on surface of ice.
- Dykyy, I., Drongovska, M. 2015. Dobovi ta sezonni migratsii tuleniv Ueddela (Leptonychotes weddeli) v raioni arkhipelagu Argentynski ostrovy (Zahidna Antarktyka) [Daily and seasonal migration of the Weddell' seals (Leptonychotes weddeli) in the region of the archipelago of Argentina Islands (Western Antarctica)]. Ukrainskyi Antarktychnyi Zhurnal [ Ukrainian Antarctic Journal], 14, 158-16. (In Ukrainian).
- Dykyy, I., Salgansky, A. 2013. Osoblyvosti rostu molodi tulenia Ueddela (Leptonychotes weddeli) [Specifics of the growth of the Weddell' seals young (Leptonychotes weddeli)] Ukrainskyi Antarktychnyi Zhurnal [Ukrainian Antarctic Journal], 12, 258-264. (In Ukrainian).
- Dykyy, I., Salgansky, A. 2014. Adaptyvni aspekty molodykh tuleniv Ueddela ta ikh znachennia dlia bioindykatsiinoi otsinky kormovoi bazy [Adaptive aspects of the Weddell' seals young and its importance for bioindication estimate of the nutritive base]. Zhurnal agrobiologii ta ekologii [The Journal of Agrobiology and Ecology], 4, 1, 68-73 (In Ukrainian).
- Dykyy, I., Drongovska, M. 2015. Daily and seasonal migration of the Weddell seals (Leptonychotes weddeli) in the region of the archipelago of Argentina Islands (Western Antarctica). Ukrainian Antarctic Journal. 14, 158-164. (In Ukrainian).
- Ognetov, G. 2009. Functional features and conformity of the organism reaction of the phoca (Pusa hispida) by the influence of the environmental conditions. Topical problems of the ecological physiology, biochemistry and genetics of the animals. Materials of the 2nd Int. Sc. Conf. 111-113. (In Russian).
- Savonin, A., Philipechev, A. 2015. Daily activity of the American mink (Neovison vison Schreber, 1775) in the bottomland of the Medvediza river. Ecological collection 5. Papers of the young scientists from Povolzhe. 322-325. (In Russian).
- Stirling I. 1969. Ecology of the Weddell Seal in McMurdo Sound, Antarctica. Ecology, 50, 573-586. https://doi.org/10.2307/1936247
- Svetocheva, O., Svetochev, V., Kavzevich, N. 2017. Daily activity and energy budget of the bearded seal (Erignathus barbatus) in the White Sea. Eurasian Scientific Union. 1, 3, 53-56. (In Russian).
- Zharov, J., Mikhaluk, A., Berezina, I. 2011. Study of daily activity of the specimens of the seals' family by way of example of the phoca (Pusa hispida). Successes of the modern natural science. 8, 37-37. (In Russian).