Hydrological structure of the waters in the Drake Passage based on the survey of December, 2018
- Drake Passage,
- water mass,
- cold intermediate layer
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
The results of the analysis of hydrological observations made on the Ukrainian fish-krill trawler "More Sodruzhestva" in the south-eastern part of the Drake Passage in December, 2018 are presented in article. The aim of the investigation is to study the thermohaline structure of the 200 m surface water layer in the research area and comparison of the actual state of the water masses in the summer of 2018 with those identified during previous studies. The expedition was carried out at the hydrological polygon from eight stations. Measurements were conducted by the sensing complex СTD SBE 37SM. Traditional methods for graphic and statistical analysis have been used to process the obtained data. Water structures were allocated based on the analysis of the T,S and O2,σ-diagrams. In addition, satellite data of the Marine Environment Monitoring Service from the Copernicus website as well as information from one of the drifting buoys of the Project ARGO which took place through the research area during this time were involved in the analysis. The results are the spatial hydrological structure of the upper 200 m water layer in the research area. The main water masses formed this structure, as well as the actual position of the Polar Front in the north and the Scotia Sea Front in the south. Characteristics of the spatial variability of the cold intermediate layer are highlighted. The largest volume of water was occupied by the Southern Front of the Southern branch of the ACС that moves the relatively desalinated surface waters of the Bellingshausen Sea in this layer; there is a significant role of the influence of dynamic factor on the distribution of hydrological characteristics. It is noted that the on-site surveillance data are well consistent with the in for mation obtained from Copernicus and the Project ARGO.
- About c Drake: http://www.cdrake.org/, last access: 11 October 2019.
- Antipov, N.N., Danilov, A.I., Klepikov, A.V.: Issledovaniya Yuzhnogo okeana po nauchnyim programmam AANII: ot programmyi "POLEKS-Yug" do FTsP "Mirovoy okean" [Studies of the Southern Ocean within the AARI scientific programmes: from POLEX-South programme to FTP "The World Ocean"], Problemy Arctiki i Antarctiki [Problems of Arctic and Antarctic], 1 (99), 65-85, http://www.aari.ru/misc/publicat/paa_statia.php?arh=1&ns=347&jur=341, 2014, last access:11 October 2019.
- Artamonov, Ju.V., Skripaleva, E.A., Fedirko, A.V.: Seasonal and interannual variability of water masses in Drake passage, Ukrainian Antarctic Journal, 10-11, 161-171, 2011-2012.
- Bulgakov, N.P., Bibik, V.A., Dzhiganshin, G.F.: Tsirkulyatsiya vod v prolive Dreyka i zapadnoy chasti atlanticheskogo sektora Antarktiki v letneye vremya [Water circulation in the Drake Channel and the western part of the Atlantic sector of the Antarctic in the summer], Bulletin of the Ukrainian Antarctic Centre, 3, 110-118, 2000.
- Copernicus Marine Service: http://marine.copernicus.eu/, last access: 11 October 2019.
- Donohue, K.A., Tracey, K.L., Watts, D.R., Chidichimo, M.P., Chereskin, T.K.: Mean Antarctic Circumpolar Current transport measured in Drake Passage, Geophysical Research Letters, 43 (22), 11760-11767, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1002/2016GL070319
- Firing, Y.L., McDonagh, E.L., King, B.A., Desbruyères, D.G.: Deep temperature variability in Drake Passage, Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 122 (1), 713-725, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1002/2016JC012452
- Komorin, V.M., Bolshakov, V.M., Dikhanov, Yu.M., Melnik, E.A.: Research of frontal structure of the surface layer of the South Atlantic based on the passing observations in No vember - December 2018, Ukrainian Antarctic Journal, 1 (18), 84-92, 2019. https://doi.org/10.33275/1727-7485.1(18).2019.133
- Koshlyakov, M.N., Lisina, I.I., Morozov, E.G., Tarakanov, R.Yu.: Absolute geostrophic currents in the Drake Passage based on observations in 2003 and 2005, Oceanology, 47, 451-463, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0001437007040029
- Maderich, V., Terletskaya, K., Brovchenko, I., Bezhenar, A.: Modeling Summer Circulation and Distribution of Temperature and Salinity in the Bellingshausen Sea and on the Antarctic Peninsula Shelf, Ukrainian Antarctic Journal, 1 (17), 48-57, 2018. https://doi.org/10.33275/1727-7485.1(17).2018.31
- Orci, A.H., Whitworth III, T., Nowlin, Jr. W.D.: On the meridional extent and fronts of the Antarctic Circumpolar Current, Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers, 42 (5), 641-673, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0967-0637(95)00021-W
- Sallée, J.-B.: Southern Ocean warming, Oceanography, 31 (2), 52-62, 2018, last access: 11 October 2019. https://doi.org/10.5670/oceanog.2018.215
- Shulgovsky, K.E.: Large-scale variability of oceanological conditions in the western Atlantic sector of the Antarctic and its impact on krill distribution, Publishing house Atlant NIRO, Kaliningrad, 148 pp., 2005 (in Russian).
- Sukhovey, V.F., Ruban, I.G.: The structure of Antarctic Circumpolar Current at Drake Passage and interannual variability of its transport, Bulletin of Odessa State Environmental University, 7, 203-209, 2009.
- Tarakanov, R.Y.: The Scotia Sea and the Drake Passage as an orographic barrier for the Antarctic Circumpolar Current, Oceanology, 52 (2), 157-170, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0001437012010195
- Tarakanov, R.Yu., Gritsenko, A.M.: Jets of the Antarctic Circumpolar Current in the Drake Passage Based on Hydrographic Section Data, Oceanology, 58 (4), 503-516, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0001437018040100
- Talley, L.D., Pickard, G.L., Emery, W.J., Swift, J.H.: Descriptive Physical Oceanography, 6th ed., Academic Press, Elsevier, Boston, 560 pp., 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-7506-4552-2.10001-0
- The Argo Data Management site: http://www.argodatamgt.org/, last access:11 October 2019.
- Ukrainsky, V.V., Popov, Yu.I., Artamonov, Yu.V., Lomakin, P.D.: Frontalnyye zony i vodnyye massy na poverkhnosti yugo-zapadnoy Atlantiki i prilegayushchego sektora Yuzhnogo okeana [Frontal zones and water masses on the surface of the south western Atlantic and the adjacent sector of the Southern Ocean], Bulletin Ukrainian Antarctic Centre, 3, 68-77, 2000.
- Whitworth III, T., Peterson, R.G.: Volume Transport of the Antarctic Circumpolar Current from Bottom Pressure Measurements, Journal of Physical Oceanography, 15, 810-816, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0485(1985)015<0810:VTOTAC>2.0.CO;2
- Zhuk, N.N.: Fishery and biological aspects of Euphausia superba on its fishery grounds at the South Shetland Islands and in the Bransfield Strait in March-May, Ukrainian Antarctic Journal, 10-11, 201-211, 2011-2012.
- Zhuk, N.N., Korzun, Yu.V.: Fishery report of the krill catching trawler "Cooperation Sea" on the Antarctic krill (Eupha usia superba) biology and hydrometeorological conditions in the fishing area of the Atlantic Antarctic during the summer-winter fishing season of 2015, Ukrainian Antarctic Journal, 15, 131-152, 2016. https://doi.org/10.33275/1727-7485.15.2016.99