The peculiarities of cross-correlation between two secondary precursors – radon and magnetic field variations, induced by tectonic activity
- magnetic field,
- tectonic activity
A model of precursor manifestation mechanisms, stimulated by tectonic activity and some peculiarities of observer strategy, whose main task is the effective measurement of precursors in the spatial area of their occurrence on the Earth’s daylight, are considered. In particular, the applicability of Dobrovolsky’s approximation is analyzed, when an unperturbed medium (characterized by the simple shear state) and the area of tectonic activity (local inhomogeneity caused by the change only of shear modulus) are linearly elastic, and perturbation, in particular, surface displacement is calculated as a difference of the solutions of two independent static problems of the theory of elasticity with the same boundary condition on the surface. Within the framework of this approximation a formula for the spatial distribution (of first component) of magnetic field variations caused by piezomagnetic effect in the case of perturbed regular medium, which is in simple shear state is derived. Cogent arguments in favor of linear dependence between the radon spatial distribution and conditional deformation are obtained.
Changes in magnetic field strength and radon concentrations were measured along a tectonomagnetic profile of the total length of 11 km in the surroundings of the “Academik Vernadsky” Station on the Antarctic Peninsula (W 64°16´, S 65°15). Results showed a positive correlation between the annual surface radon concentration and annual changes of magnetic field relative to a base point, and also the good coincidence with theoretical calculation.
- Åkerblom, G., & Mellander, H. (1997). Geology and radon. In: S.A. Durrani, R. Ilić (Eds.), Radon Measurements by Etched Track Detectors: Applications to Radiation Protection, Earth Sciences and the Environment. World Scientific, Singapore, 21–49.
- Baker, P.F. (1982). Cenozoic subduction history of the Pacific margin of the AP: Ridge crest-trench interaction. J. Geol. Soc.London, 139, 787–801.
- Balcázar, M. (1997). Radon and geothermal energy production. In: S.A. Durrani, R. Ilić (Eds.), Radon Measurements by Etched Track Detectors: Applications to Radiation Protection, Earth Sciences and the Environment. World Scientific, Singapore, 345–362.
- Breiner, S. (1964). Piezomagnetic effects at the time of local earthquakes. Nature, 202, 4934, 790.
- Christeson, G.L., Baker, D.H.N., Austin, J.A.Jr., & Dalziel, I.W.D. (2003). Deep crustal structure of Bransfield Strate: initiation of a back ark basin by rift reactivation and prolongation. J. Geophys. Res., 108(B10), 2492,
- Dambara, T. (1966). Vertical movements of the Earth’s crust in relation to the Matsushiro earthquake. J. Geod. Soc. Japan, 12, 18–45 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Dobrovolsky, I.P. (1984). Mechanics of tectonic earthquake preparation. Institute of the Earth Physics of Academy of Science USSR, Moscow.
- Dobrovolsky, I.P., & Mjachkin, V.I. (1976). The surface displacement of elastic half-space containing an inclusion. In: Seismic Transmission of Nodal Zones. Institute of the Earth Physics of Academy of Science USSR, Moscow, p. 29.
- Durrani, S.A., & Ilić R. (Eds.). (1997). Radon Measurements by Etched Track Detectors: Applications to Radiation Protection, Earth Sciences and the Environment. World Scientific, Singapore.
- Fleischer R.L. (1997). Radon and earthquake prediction. In: S.A. Durrani, R. Ilić (Eds.), Radon Measurements by Etched Track Detectors: Applications to Radiation Protection, Earth Sciences and the Environment. World Scientific, Singapore, pp. 285–299.
- Guerra, M., & Lombardi, S. (2001). Soil-gas method for tracing neotectonic faults in clay basins: the Pistici field (Southern Italy). Tectonophys. 339, 511–522.
- Hakl, J., Hunyadi, I., & Várhegyi, A. (1997). Radon monitoring in caves. In: S.A. Durrani, R. Ilić (Eds.), Radon Measurements by Etched Track Detectors: Applications to Radiation Protection, Earth Sciences and the Environment. World Scientific, Singapore, pp. 259–283.
- Ilić, R., Rusov, V.D., Pavlovich, V.M., Vaschenko, V.M., Hanžič, L., & Bondarchuk, Y.A. (2005). Radon in Antarctica. Radiat. Meas. 40, 415–422.
- Johnston, M.J.S. (1978). Lokal magnetic field variations and stress changes near a slip discontinuity on the San Andreas fault. J. Geomagn. And Geoelect., 30, 511.
- Kasahara, K. (1981). Earthquake Mechanics. Cambridge University Press.
- Khan, H.A., Qureshi, A.A., Qureshi, I.E. (1997). Radon and mineral exploration. In: S.A. Durrani, R. Ilić (Eds.), Radon Measurements by Etched Track Detectors: Applications to Radiation Protection, Earth Sciences and the Environmen. World Scientific, Singapore, pp. 319–343.
- Kharatian, K., Travi, Y., Igoumnov, V. (2002). Radon soil-gas concentrations and local seismicity: case of the Arax basin (Armenia). C.R. Geoscience 334, 179–185.
- Majmudar, K. (2004). A study of fluctuation in radon concentration behaviour as an aerthquacke presursor. Current Sci. 86, 9, 1288–1292.
- Maksymchuk, V.Yu., Gorodiskiy, Yu.M., & Kuznetsova, V. (2001). Dynamics of the Anomalous Magnetic Field of Earth. Lviv, Evrosvit. (in Ukrainian).
- Maksymchuk, V.Yu., Kuznetsova, V., Chobotok, I., & Dotsenko, I.O. (2002). First results of tectonomagnetic investigations at the Academician Vernadsky Station. Bulletin UAC, 4, 197–201.
- Maksymchuk, V.Yu., Gorodiskiy, Yu.M., & Chobotok, I.O. (2003). The tectonomagnetic researches in the Western Antarctic region. Geodinamics, 1, 40–45.
- Maksymchuk, V.Yu., Chobotok, I.O., & Romaniuk, I.O. (2004). The tectonomagnetic monitoring in the Antarctic station Academic Vernadsky location. In: Proc. 2nd Ukrainian Antarctic Meeting, p. 27.
- Maksymchuk, V.Yu. et al. (2006). To be published.
- Mjachkin, V.I., Brace, W.F., Sobolev, G.A., & Dieterich, J.H. (1975). Two-models for earthquake forerunners. Pure Appl. Geophys., 113, 168–181.
- Monnin, M., & Seidel, L. (1991). Radon and geophysics: recent advances. Nucl. Tracks Radiat. Meas., 19, 1–4, 375–382.
- Monnin, M.M., & Seidel, J.L. (1997). Radon and volcanic surveillance. In S.A. Durrani, R. Ilić (Eds.), Radon Measurements by Etched Track Detectors: Applications to Radiation Protection, Earth Sciences and the Environment. World Scientific, Singapore. 301–318.
- Novatsky, V. (1975). The Theory of Elasticity. Moscow, Mir.
- Rusov, V.D., Pavlovich, V.N, Ilić, Jaćimović, R., Bondarchuk, Y.A, Vaschenko, V.N., & Mihalus, О.T. (2005). On the fractal mechanism of interrelation between the genesis, size and content of atmospheric aerosols in different regions of the Earth. Atmosph. Environm., submited for publication.
- Rusov, V.D., Glushkov, V.D., Vaschenko, V.M., Kocenko, S.I., Tarasov, V.A., & Zelentsova, T.N., Saranjuk, D., & Shevcenko, V. (2006). Self organization of the criticality of 1/fnoice of statistics of registration of surface radon as dynamic indicator of earthquackes: theory and experiments. To be submitted for publication in Phys. Rev. E.
- Scholz, С.H., Sykes, L.R., & Aggarwal, Y.P. (1973). Earthquake prediction: a physical basis. Science 181, 803.
- Segovia, N. (1991). Radon and volcanic activity: resent advance. Nucl. Tracks Rad. Meas. 19, 1–4, 409–413.
- Singh, M., Ramola, R.C., Singh, B., Singh, S., & Virk, H.S. (1991). Subsurface soil gas radon changes associated with earthquakes. Nucl. Tracks Radiat. Meas. 19, 1–4, 417–420.
- Skovorodkin, Yu.P. (1985). Study of Tectonic Processes with Magnetometrical Methods. Moscow Institute of Earth Physics, Academy of Science of USSR, Moscow. (in Russian).
- Skvarč, J., & Golovchenko, A.N. (2001). A method of trajectory tracing of Zo10 ions in the energy region below 300 MeV/u. Radiat. Meas., 34, 1–6, 113–118.
- Smellie, J.L. (1988). Recent observations on the volcanic history of Deception Island, South Shetland Islands, Br. Antarct. Surv. Sci. Rep., 81, 83–85.
- Stacey, F.D. (1972). Theory of the piezomagnetic effect in titanomagnetite bearing rocks. Pageoph, 97, 146.
- Šutej T., Ilić, R., & Najžer, M. (1986). Response of track-etch dosemeters to environmental radon. Nucl. Tracks Radiat. Meas. 15, 1–4, 547–550.
- Urban, M., & Piesch, E.A. (1981). Low level environmental radon dosimetry with a passive track etch detector device. Radiat. Prot. Dosim. 1, 2, 97–109.
- Whitcomb, J.H., Garmany, J.D., & Anderson D.L. (1973). Earthquake prediction: variation of seismic velocities before the San Fernando earthquake. Science 180, 632–635.
- Zmazek, B., Todorovski, L., Džerovski, S., Vaupotič, J., & Kobal, I. (2003). Application of decision trees to the analysis of soil radon data for earthquacke prediction. Appl. Radiat. Isot., 58, 697–706.