Killer whales of Antarctica: distribution and some aspects of biology
- killer whale,
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
The data mining orcas Odessa whaling fleet in the period 1961-1979 gg. Set the volume of production - 323 orcas. Dimensions 205 males ranged from 4.5 m to 9.0 m, their average length was 7.26 m. Dimensions 118 females ranged from 3.7 m to 7.7 m, with an average length of 6.42 m. Compiled monthly distribution maps whales in the Antarctic and neighboring waters. Traced their seasonal migrations. Most are groups of killer whales of between 5 to 15 individuals. Weighed gonads in 57 males and 63 females. The average length was equal to the testes of 55 cm and a diameter of 22 cm. The average weight of testis from adult males is 10 kg. Dimensions of females ovaries had an average of 10-12 cm long and 5-7 cm wide. The average ovary weight of about 200 g, about the same weight of a functioning corpus luteum of pregnancy. On the basis of the size of the sex glands and the number of tracks of corpora lutea of pregnancy on the ovaries of females, body proportions, and of the zone, the conclusion about the existence of in the Antarctic except ordinary orca (Orcinus orca Linnaeus, 1758) alsoformsa shorterbody - killer whales Orcinus nana.
- Doroshenko, N. V. (1978). O vzaimootnoshenii kosatki i malogo polosatika (khishchnik-zhertva) v Antarktike [On the interactions of the killer whale and the common minke whale (predator - prey) in Antarctica]. Morskiie mlekopitaiushchie. Tezisy dokladov 7-go Vsesoiuznogo soveshchaniia, 107-109. (in Russian)
- Zemskii, V. A., Budylenko, G. A. (1970). O kosatkakh Severnogo i Yuzhnogo Polushariia [On the killer whales of the Northern and Southern hemispheres]. Trudy AtlantNIRO, 29, 216-224. (in Russian)
- Zenkovich, B. A. (1938). O kosatke, ili kitie-ubiytse [On the orca, or killer whale]. Priroda, 4, 102-112. (in Russian)
- Mikhalev, Yu. A. (2008). Kity Yuzhnogo Polushariia: biologiia, promysel, perspektivy vosstanovleniia populiatsiy [Whales of the Southern Hemisphere: biology, industry, prospects of population recovery]. Odessa: OOO “INVATS” (in Russian)
- Sleptsov, M. M. (1965). Kosatka Yuzhnogo polusharia [The killer whale of the Southern Hemisphere] Morskie mlekopitaiushchiie, 60-66. (in Russian)
- Shevchenko, V. I. (1975). Kharakter vzaimootnoshenia kosatok i drugikh kitoobraznykh [The nature of relationships of killer whales and other cetaceans]. Morskiie mlekopitaiushchiie. Materialy 6-go Vsesoiuznogo soveshchaniia, II, 173-175. (in Russian)
- Evans, V., Yablokov, A. V. (1978). Osobennosti vnutrividovoi izmenchivosti okraski kosatok (Orcinus orca) [Specifics of intraspecies variability of killer whales’ colouring (Orcinus orca)], Novoie v izuchenii kitoobraznykh i lastonogikh, 102-115. (in Russian)
- Castello, H. P., Torno, A. P., Panizza, J. S. (1974). First Antarctic record of a killer whale stranding. Sci. Rep. Whales Res. Inst., Tokyo, 26, 255-258.
- Mikhalev, Yu. A. (1978). Occurrence and distribution of cetaceans in the Pacific sector of the Antarctic Regions to the results of observations, 1973/74 and 1974/75 seasons. Cambridge. Rep. int. Whal. Commn., 263-267.
- Mikhalev, Yu. A., Ivashin, M. V., Savusin, V. P., Zelenaya, F. E. (1981). The Distribution and Biology of Killer Whales in the Southern Hemisphere. Cambridge. Rep. int. Whal. Commn., 31, 551-566.