Fishery report of the krill catching trawler «Cooperation Sea» on the Antarctic krill (Euphausia superba) biology and hydrometeorological conditions in the fishing area of the Atlantic Antarctic during the summer-winter fishing season of 2015
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
The krill catching trawler «Cooperation Sea» was conducting the Antarctic krill (Euphausia superba) fisheries in the Atlantic Antarctic area (South Shetland Islands, Bransfield Strait and off South Georgia Island) from 7 February to 23 June 2015. The total krill catch made up 12,500 tons, including area 48.1 (10,900 tons) and area 48.3 (1,600 tons); the CPUE parameter equaled 9.1 tons per hour and 7.9 tons per hour, correspondingly; the average catch per boat day reached 119.7 tons and 95.6 tons, correspondingly. It is suggested that the total krill catch in the Atlantic Antarctic in 2016 can be increased by means of krill fisheries in subarea 48.2, where fishing zones had been covered with ice during the last fishing season, or equipping the vessel with continuous fishing system. This system will allow to efficiently catch krill concentrations, which, according to the traditional fishing scheme, is not considered feasible. Commercial krill aggregations were formed in the north-western areas of the island and continental shelf and slope. The krill specimens in the islands’ area (Elephant Island, George Island, Livingston Island) were characterized by a larger size than those caught in the Bransfield Strait. Thus, length and weight of the krill body, caught on the shelf and slope of the islands, ranged from 46.7 to 52.3 mm and from 0.68 to 1.04 g; in the strait area - from 43.6 to 46.7 mm and from 0.53 to 0.59 g, correspondingly. Larger krill specimens were reported in the zones with high surface temperature. In February-March, in the areas of the South Shetland Islands and Bransfield Strait krill spawning sites were observed; its intensive feeding on phytoplankton in the upper ocean layers was also marked. In April-May the krill spawning season was finished: in area 48.1 it came to end later than in area 48.3. For a short period of time, hydrometeorological and ice conditions in areas 48.1 and 48.3 prevented the trawler from conducting fisheries. The loss of fishing time made up 8.8 days, or 7.5% of the total amount of boat days.
- Antarctic krill: A manual. (2001). Ed. Bykova, V. M., M.: VNIRO (in Russian)
- Aseiev, Yu. P. (1978). K izucheniiu razmerno-vozrastnoi struktury i velichiny populiatsii antarkticheskogo krilia (E. superba Dana) v indookeanskom sektore Antarktiki [To the study of size-age structure and population size of the Antarctic krill (E. superba Dana) in the Indian Ocean sector of Antarctica]. Dissertatsia na soiskaniie uchenoi stepeni kandidata biologicheskikh nauk (in Russian).
- Aseiev, Yu. P. (1983). Razmernaia struktura populiatsii krilia i prodolzhytel’nost yego zhizni v indookeanskom sektore Antarktiki [Size structure of krill population and its longeivity in the Indian sector of Antarctica]. Sb. nauch. trudov: Antarkticheskii kril. Osobennosti raspredeleniia i sreda, 103-110. (in Russian)
- Bibik, V. A., Briantsev, V. A. (2007). Prognoz uspeshnosti promysla antarkticheskogo krilia, osnovannyi na geo- i geliofizicheskikh predposylkakh [A prognosis of the success of the Antarctic krill industry based on geo- and heliophysical premises]. Rybnoie khoziaistvo Ukrainy, 3-4, 10-13. (in Russian)
- Voloshyna, G. V., Krasovskii, I. V. (1990). K voprosu o formirovanii fenomena “zelenogo” krilia [To the problem of the origin of the “green krill” phenomenon]. Syrievyie resursy Yuzhnogo okeana i problemy ikh ratsional’nogo ispolzovaniia: tezisy dokladov VIII Vsesoiuznogo soveshchaniia (16-18 aprelia 1991, g. Kerch), 35-37. (in Russian)
- Voronina, N. M. (1990). Struktura planktonnogo soobshchestva na mezomasshtabnom poligone u o. Mordvinova i ieio sviaz s gidrofizicheskoi strukturoi [The structure of the plankton community on the mesoscale poligon near Mordvinov Island and its connection with the hydrophysical structure]. Syrievyie resursy Yuzhnogo okeana i problemy ikh ratsional’nogo ispol’zovania: tezisy dokladov VIII Vsesoiuznogo soveschaniia (16 -18 aprelia 1991, g. Kerch), 37-39. (in Russian)
- Zhuk, N. N. (2011-2012). Fishery and biological aspects of Euphasia superba on its fishery grounds at the South Shetland Islands and in the Bransfield Strait in March-May, 2006. Ukrainian Antarctic Journal, 10-11, 201-211. (in Russian)
- Zhuk, N. N., Korzun, Yu. V. (2014). Research results of the krill catching trawler “Cooperation Sea” in the Antarctic krill fishing area of the Atlantic Antarctic and its biological state during the winter 2014. Ukrainian Antarctic Journal, 13, 140-158. (in Russian)
- Kasatkina, S. M. (2015). Antarkticheskii kril: resursy i promysel. Perspektivy razvitiia Rossiiskogo promysla [Antarctic krill: resources and fishery. Prospects of the development of the Russian fishery]. Promyslovyie bespozvonochnyie: materialy dokladov VIII Vserossiiskoi nauchnoi konferentsii po promyslovym bespozvonochnym. Kaliningrad: FGBNU VPO “KGTU”, 134-136. (in Russian)
- Kasatkina, S. M., Petrov, A. F., Shust, K. V., Urupova, E. F., Sytov, A. M. (2014). The description of the Antarctic krill Euphasia superba fishery in the Atlantic Antarctic area during the recent decade. The Fisheries Journal, 5, 69-74. (in Russian)
- Korzun, Yu. V., Zhuk, N. N. (2015). Biologiia antarkticheskogo krilia v raione Yuzhnykh Shetlandskikh ostrovov v letne-osennii period 2015 g. [Biology of the Antarctic krill in the region of the South Shetland Islands in the summer and autumn of 2015]. Promysloviie bespozvonochniie: materialy dokladov VIII Vserossiiskoi nauchnoi konferentsii po promyslovym bespozvonochnym. Kaliningrad: FGBNU VPO “KGTU”, 136-138. (in Russian)
- Korzun, Yu. V., Rebik, S. T., Kozlova, S. L., Bogomolova, V. V., Zhuk, N. N. (2014). Prospective trends of the Antarctic krill processing. Proceedings of the Southern Scientific Research Institute of Marine Fisheries and Oceanography. Kerch: YugNIRO, 52, 131-148. (in Russian)
- Kukharev, N. N., Korzun, Yu. V., Rebik, S. T., Zhuk, N. N. (2014). Current Antarctic krill fishery. Proceedings of the Southern Scientific Research Institute of Marine Fisheries and Oceanography. Kerch: YugNIRO, 52, 105-130. (in Russian)
- Lomakina, N. B. (1978). Eufaziidy Mirovogo okeana [Euphasiidae of the World Ocean]. L: Nauka. (in Russian)
- Metodicheskie ukazaniia po sboru i pervichnoi obrabotke v polevykh usloviiakh materialov po biologii i raspredeleniu krilia [Methodological recommendations on the collection and primary treatment in the field materials on biology and distribution of krill]. M.: VNIRO, 1982 (in Russian)
- Nastavlenie po gidrometeorologicheskim stantsiam i postam [A precept for hydrometeorological stations and outposts]. L.: Gidrometeoizdat, 1964, 9(ІІ). (in Russian)
- Otchet rabochei gruppy po ekosystemnomu monitoringu i upravleniu [Workshop report on ecosystem monitoring and management]. ANTKOM (Warsawa, Poland, 6 - 17 June 2015), WG-EMM-15. (in Russian)
- Samyshev, E. Z. (1991). Antarctic creel and structure of plankton community in it’s areal. M.: Nauka.
- Spisok deistvuiushchikh mer po sokhraneniu, sezon 2014/15 g. [The List of active conservation measures, season 2014/15]. ANTKOM, 2015. (http://www.ccamlr.org). (in Russian)
- Spravochnik nauchnogo nabliudatelia [A reference book of the scientific observer]. ANTKOM, 2011. (http://www.ccamlr.org/ru/node/74413 , version 2012). (in Russian)
- Churin, D. A., Borodin, E. V., Chernyshkov, P. P. (2014). Scientific substantiation for resumption of Russian fishing in the Antarctic waters of the Atlantic ocean and South Pacific. The Fisheries Journal, 5, 8-13. (in Russian)
- Shust, K. V., Bizikov, V. A. (2010). Research and commercial bioresources of the Arctic waters. Problems of fisheries, 11, 4(44), 765-779. (in Russian)
- Atkinson, A., Siegel, V., Pakhomov, E. A., Jessopp, M. J., Loeb, V. (2009). A re-appraisal of the total biomass and annual production of Antarctic krill. Deep-Sea Research, 156, 727-740.
- Candy, S. G., Kawaguchi, S. (2006). Modelling growth of Antarctic krill. II. Novel approach to describing the growth trajectory. Mar. Ecol. Progr. Ser., 306, 17-30.
- Catches in the Convention Area in 2013/14 and 2014/15. SC-CAMLR-XXXIV/BG/01. (http://www.ccamlr.org)
- FAO Fisheries Department, Fishery Information, Data and Statistic Unit // FISHSTAT J: Universal software for fishery statistical time series. - Version 2.12.2. - 2013. (www.fao.org/fishery/statistics/software/fishstatj/en )
- Fevolden, S. E. Antarktisk krill har vi nok biologisk okologisk kunnskap til a kinne for valte bestanden?
- Jones, C., Kawaguchi, S., Reid, K. (2015). Krill. Biology, ecology and fishing. (http://www.ccamlr.org )
- Marr, J. W. S. (1962). The natural history and geography of the Antarctic Krill (Euphasia superba Dana.) Discovery Rep., 32, 33-464.
- Nicol, S., Constable, A. J., Pauly, T. (2000). Estimates of circumpolar abundance of Antarctic krill based on recent acoustic density measurements. CCAMLR Science, 2000, 7, 87-99.
- Pakhomov, E. A. (1995). Demographic studies of Antarctic krill Euphasia superba in the Cooperation and Cosmonaut Seas (Indian sector of the Southern Ocean). Ecol. Progr. Ser., 119, 45-61.
- Siege, I. V., Loeb, V. (1995). Recruitment of Antarctic krill Euphasia superba and possible causes for its variability. Mar. Ecol. Progr. Ser., 123, 45-56.
- Siege, I. V. (2005). Distribution and population dynamics of Euphasia superba: summary of recent findings. Polar Biology, 29, 1-22.
- Sologub, D., Remeslo, A. (2011). Distribution and size-age composition of Antarctic krill (Euphasia superba) in the South Orkney Islands region (CCAMLR subarea 48.2). CCAMLR Science, 18, 123-134.